Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    Let the flaming commence.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    That's all for now.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    what are you installing in these? several more days of sanding and filling and you'll be ready for black laquer... where did you come up with the plans? sizes? are you installing another speaker in the bottom , making it a sealed cabinet? a 411 in the bottom and 604's up top?
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    Quote Originally Posted by valhallax View Post
    what are you installing in these? several more days of sanding and filling and you'll be ready for black laquer... where did you come up with the plans? sizes? are you installing another speaker in the bottom , making it a sealed cabinet? a 411 in the bottom and 604's up top?
    Yep Gloss black is where I"m heading with them, I'm not going by plans, although I kinda was inspired by the Stephaens dream speaker article on 6 moons. It's just 604's up top the bottom hole is the port. The inside dimensions are 18 x 18 x 34.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    i think i read somewhere that the six moon guys got the design from a great guy..i wonder if he was compensated for his designs? but im sure if he designed it..it's great. which model 604? for what its worth.. i did some folded horns in 20 coats of black laquer, and i can see every little imperfection. i then built an entertainment center and used "polyshades" its a black stain and polyurethane by minwax..2 coats and it was awsome. tho, black shiny things do show everything so due diligence is required for a nice outcome. it looks as if your off to a great start! i think i remember another poster here building the same sort of cab. i think he was having problems getting alot of bass, but i think there was a crossover issue? the other members will chime in im sure.
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    Quote Originally Posted by valhallax View Post
    i think i read somewhere that the six moon guys got the design from a great guy..i wonder if he was compensated for his designs? but im sure if he designed it..it's great. which model 604? for what its worth.. i did some folded horns in 20 coats of black laquer, and i can see every little imperfection. i then built an entertainment center and used "polyshades" its a black stain and polyurethane by minwax..2 coats and it was awsome. tho, black shiny things do show everything so due diligence is required for a nice outcome. it looks as if your off to a great start! i think i remember another poster here building the same sort of cab. i think he was having problems getting alot of bass, but i think there was a crossover issue? the other members will chime in im sure.
    Thanks Valhallax, It sounded like a lot of great people were in on the build. My guess is his reward was an awesome job well done. I have one 604 C and one 604 E that are going in them as soon as they get back from GPA (totally jonesing over here!!!)I'm also getting new GPA crossovers for them since the C has a 1600 network and the E has a 1500. That sounds kinda like the 6 moons article they couldn't get good bass and it turned out the crossover was wired wrong. I'll look into the polyshades thing since I'm polyurethaning them now anyways. I still don't understand what made the 6 moons speaker an MLTL? unless they didn't show a final inside picture.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    Quote Originally Posted by valhallax View Post
    .
    .
    i think i remember another poster here building the same sort of cab. i think he was having problems getting alot of bass, but i think there was a crossover issue? the other members will chime in im sure.
    I think the 604 is similar to a 146? Altec published a booklet that showed how to tune a port. I believe Altec use a something called "impedence peak matching." Pretty simple to do, all you need is a small amplifier, a audio tone generator and a VTVM.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    Well I'm certainly willing to listen to porting options for these, right now they just have 10 inch holes because thats all the smaller my circle jig would go. The bottom boards are removable so I can replace them if need be. I have no idea what the proper port size would be on these. : / I bought some poly fill for them today I'm going with about 1 lb per cu ft so about 5.75 lbs per cab.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    cradeldorf: Okay, I found that manual. The name of the Altec manual is "LOUDSPEAKER ENCLOSURES - Their design and use." Altec publication AL6030-1. This manual has advice on how to tune and adjust your port size. I built a box using these recommendations, and it works pretty well, considering you don't need any real engineering knowledge.

    Here are .JPG images of the manual:
    1974 Enclosure Manual

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm attempting my first cabinet build....be gentle.

    Thanks Ron I'll check it out. : )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.